Coaching Stock NSW Railways - Vol.2
A 344 page volume by David Cooke, Don Estell, Keith Seckold and John Beckhaus. Illustrations by Dennis Toohey.
The title covers, in detail, the design, construction and operation of carriage stock on the railways of NSW. The groups covered in Volume 2 include:
- American sleeping and suburban cars - clerestory, Mansard, low and high elliptical and BOB sets.
- Other Truss-sided cars - AB41 dining car, Davis sleepers, branchline cars, Mann sleepers, Governor-Generals car and Pullman cars.
- Steel country cars - S and N non air-conditioned cars, H and S air-conditioned cars, stainless steel Brisbane Express, Southern Aurora, Gold Coast Motorail and proposed cars.
- Miscellaneous cars - Commissioners Car No.9, ex-Budd & Tulloch railcars, loco hauled double deck stainless steel electric cars, small bogie brake vans, power vans, goods brake vans, education vans, exhibition/mobile showroom vans, motor car carriers and Motorail wagons.
- Indian Pacific cars.
- Carriage miscellanea - special trains, rolling stock builders, lettering, ventilation and heating, lighting, brakes, bogies, colour schemes, car sets, coding systems and numbering.
- Appendices: Victorian Railways standard gauge cars, East Greta Coal Mining Co/South Maitland Railways, roofs and lighting.
Coverage is extensive; there is comprehensive tabular information on construction, conversion and condemnation dates for each individual car. Illustrations include photographs of every available type and drawings. This work has been over a decade in the making, and includes the latest research from original sources. It is the definitive work on the NSW passenger carriage, and is unlikely to be reprinted. This is a once-only chance to get the most complete work on NSW carriages ever offered.
Author: David Cooke, Don Estell, Keith Seckold and John Beckhaus